At Slaney Foods we are committed to working in partnership with our farmer suppliers and our employees to ensure the delivery of the Five Freedoms as expressed below. We work in partnership on continuous improvement in keeping animals healthy and treating them with respect. All Slaney Lairage staff have received certified animal handling training and are supervised by our Animal Welfare Officer.
The five freedoms as currently expressed are:
- Freedom from hunger or thirst by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour
- Freedom from discomfort by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area
- Freedom from pain, injury or disease by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment
- Freedom to express (most) normal behaviour by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal’s own kind
- Freedom from fear and distress by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering